.

Killer Whose Record Includes '91 Lynnfield Home Invasion Denied Parole

DA says Beverly man charged with second degree murder in 1987 shooting 'clearly poses a threat to public safety'.

A Beverly man who pled guilty to second-degree murder in 1987 was denied parole in a decision released by Massachusetts Parole Board late last week.  

Charles Doucette, 53, of Beverly "clearly poses a threat to public safety,” District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett said.  “On multiple occasions, while out on bail or while on parole, Mr. Doucette has engaged in threats and serious acts of violence which call into question his ability to function in society.” 

On February 21, 1987, Charles Doucette shot Raymond Bufalino twice in the head over a dispute about money, while they sat in the victim’s car near the Salem-Peabody city line. 

While out on bail, Doucette threatened to kill a Commonwealth witness in the pending murder case.  A jury convicted Doucette of first-degree murder but the Superior Court trial judge vacated the verdict and released Doucette. 

After, the Supreme Judicial Court, (ruling on an appeal filed by the Essex District Attorney’s Office) reinstated the first degree murder verdict Doucette was granted a motion for a new trial.  After he posted bail and was released in 1991, he committed two violent home invasions in Peabody and Lynnfield.

In December of 1991, Doucette pleaded guilty to second degree murder of Raymond Bufalino, witness intimidation, 3 counts of home invasion,  3 counts of armed robbery, and two counts of stealing by confining or putting a person in fear.  He was sentenced to seven (7) concurrent life sentences with the possibility of parole.

In 2006, Doucette was granted parole after serving 15 years over the objection of the Essex District Attorney’s Office. 

On February 14, 2011, Beverly Police arrested Doucette and charged him with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, witness intimidation and threats. 

The Essex District Attorney’s Office filed a dangerousness petition requesting that Doucette be held without bail while the case was pending, which was granted by a district court judge.  As a result, the Parole Board revoked Doucette’s parole.  On March 20, 2012, the Parole Board held a hearing to determine whether Doucette should be released.

The Board also imposed the maximum review period of five years.  

In opposing his parole, Essex Assistant District Attorney and Appeals Division Chief Elin Graydon argued that Mr. Doucette has never taken responsibility for the “execution-style” murder of Bufalino, has minimized his drug and alcohol use and has failed to engage in any meaningful programming while incarcerated to address these issues.  “Until and unless he confronts and addresses the causative factors of the murder, he is not an appropriate candidate for release on parole.”

Drawn from a press release by the District Attorney's Office. 

Jesse February 20, 2013 at 07:20 PM
What a disgrace. The police keep arresting these people and the liberals keep letting them go. How was this criminal ever released?
Arthur February 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM
I agree 100%

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »